Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Import/Export Mail FROM NS7 TO Outlook 2K 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonedef

Programmer
May 24, 1999
US
Has anyone found a way to get email from Netscape 7 email to Outlook 2000? Netscape 7 is kind enough not to have an export mail feature, and MS was kind enough not to allow importing from NS6/7 or Mozilla.

I too am suffering from the same problem any advice to point me in the right direction would be greatly appriciated. I would have thought that microsoft would have been falling over themselfs to provide a utility for this type of migration.

I am also having same problems.
I would like to import all the existing e-mails and
address books.
Is there anyone to help me?

Have found a way to do it - its a bit long winded but it works. You have to take the mail from netscape7 to netscape 4.7 then to outlook express then finally to outlook.

Step 1.
Install netscape 4.7

Step 2.
copy the local mail files from your netscape 7 local mail directory normally "C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\"somehashnumbers"\Mail\Local Folders" to your netscape 4.7 local mail folder normally c:\program files\netscape\users\%username%.
Do not copy the .msf files they are not needed.

Step 3.
Go into comunicator and be sure to open every folder at least once - this seems to change to format of the files. If you dont do this it will cause an error with the import wizard.

Step 4.
Outlook seems to be unable to import straight from communicator so you have to go through outlook express. Go into outlook express and create a dummy profile. Import the messages into outlook express.

Step 5.
Go into outlook and inport the messages from outlook express. Long winded but it works.

Notes:
If you want to transfer messages in inbox and sent box it is probably better to create alternative folders such as old-sent and old-inbox and move the messages here. then copy them into the right folders after the import.

Address books can be migrated by exporting the address book to an ldiff file and then importing from the file in outlook.

Thanks! This worked great - I was actually able to import the mail directly into Outlook 2K (without the Outlook Express step).

Amazingly, this is the only place on the web I have found any information regaring the move of mail from Netscape 7 to Outlook. Dasedconfused, I was so pleased to read of your handiwork!

I successfully moved data down from Netscape 7 to 4.7, but I wonder if anyone knows how to retain the subfolder structure I had in Netscape when I import messages into Outlook 2000. Following the import into Express or Outlook, none of my Netscape subfolders came over. My subfolders in Netscape were originally from Outlook 97.

Thanks in advance!

Answered my own question... by moving the folders when they sit in Netscape 4.7 out from under my Inbox and on the same level as all the other folders, Outlook then proceeded to pull them in as expected.

I also realize need for the Outlook Express step because Outlook does not appear to be capable of importing the exported Netscape 7 address book *.ldif file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back