Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Import Existing Harddrive 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

minoad

Programmer
Mar 28, 2001
US
I need to import a hard drive created on another sco machine without destroying any of the data. I am using sco 5.0.6 and the harddrive is a 40GiG Maxtor. Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks

Micah A. Norman

If the drives are identical the dos based cloning software will work. If the new drive is larger then Lone Tar will transfere the drive and allow you to use the additional space.

Basically thier is corrupted information on the old harddrive, the one i wish to import. it is 40 gigs, were the harddrive with the OS is 4.3 gigs

Here is a basic rundown

0 s 0 = OS 4.3 gigs Maxtor
1 s 0 = 40 gig Maxtor (Corrupted os. Need to view data)

Thanks
Micah A Norman

to access it you will need to create the mount points in 2 steps:
mkdev hd will create the hardware mount point in /dev
reboot
mkdev hd again to gain access to it for viewing the divvy table--but don't let it create new filesystems
mkdev fs to mount it where you want it.
reboot and it will mount and you will have access

Is this what you really want to do? You could probably do the same thing with an emergency boot disk that was prepared for 2 drives. Having never done it, I can't be sure.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

One thing you can do is to manually create the special devices, and then mount the ones you need (it will depend on the partions/filesystems you had).
I assume you have an IDE HD. If not then the following will not work.

First of all read the manual for mknod.

Then attach the OLD hd as a slave first controller(or as a master in the second controller)

#mkdir /tmp/dev
#cd /tmp/dev
In a sh scrip (or manually) do the following
-----------
i=255
while true
do
mknod dsk$i b 1 $i
i=`expr $i - 1`
done
-------------
The above will create the special devices within /tmp/dev

Then create the following scrip.
-----------------
for i in `ls dev`
do
echo dsk$i>>dtype1
dtype dsk$i>>dtype1 2>>dtype1 1>>dtype1
done
--------------
This will create a file with "loads" of errors, but also with a list of all the dsk* that contain a valid filesystem, together with it's type

Then for each valid one (you can ignore the ones lower than 64) do
mount -r /tmp/dev/dsk??? /mnt
or
mount -r -f fstype /tmp/dev/dsk??? /mnt (where fstype is one of the valid ones and will depend on what you found before).

and see which one has your info, and just copy it to another HD.

This saves you a few reboots, and also prevents a possible error with divvy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back