Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Import Excel Cells as yes no into access database

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbee2

Technical User
Apr 21, 2002
Hi,
Is there a quick way to take an Excel Spreadsheet which has
2000+ row entries, and for specific columns to convert them to Yes/No for a new access 2000 database.
There are 3 columns which set up a specification, they have been marked with a dot or no dot. When I import these into access they give columns that are in the form of a text feild, but they are set up like tick boxes in the original spreadsheet by adding a dot(Excel doesn't give a yes/no cell format). The way I want is to convert to yes/no to tie into a new form that i am producing which will ahve yes/no tickboxes.
Any ideas appreciated.
Kind Regards
Bill

Seems like it might be simpler to manipulate the data while in Excel rather than in Access. Not sure what your flexibility is with the spreadsheet, but an easy solution would be to convert the "dots" to "TRUE" or "YES" or the number 1 (basically some integer other than zero) by using a find/replace, macro, etc. on the spreadsheet itself. If you set up your table in Access prior to loading in the data, you could specify which fields are Yes/No types and it will automatically interpret the TRUE (or YES or non-zero) as YES and the FALSE/NO/zero/blank fields as NO.

In an Access Yes/No field. -1 is yes and 0 is no. If it was formatted this way in excel it should import okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back