Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

import delimited file into Access Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

ykfc

Programmer
Mar 6, 2004
AU
I know how to create an "import/export" specification file in Access and use it to import a text delimited file (.csv usually) if the file is delimited by a comma, for example.

But what if the delimiter is a special character, say ascii code 241, how could I import it without writing vba codes (although I know vba very well)? How do I create this specification file once and use it later? I've seen someone did it but not exactly how it done.

I did understand your wish to stay away from VBA, but clearly the easiest way is to replace your character with some other (by Access recognizable) character, like a comma.

If you prefer to do it programatically or manually is up to you...

Another solution might be to import your csv to say excel first, where you can choose your delimiter on csv files.

// Patrik

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the IT Professional, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back