Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

import DBF file into the MS Access 97/2000 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyooi

Programmer
Jan 15, 2003
MY
Hello,

How can I import DBF file into the MS Access 97/2000 database?

I've try out, but it prompt message as below:

The Microsoft Jet database engine could not find the object <name>. Make sure the object exists and that you spell its name and the path name correctly.

Anybody face the same problem like me? any idea to solve this problem?

Please Help, Quite urgent.

Thank you
Regards
Eric

You can create an ODBC link to the dbf.

In table design view, right-click, choose Link tables..., a window will pop up allowing you to navigate to the location on your computer, network, etc., make sure the Files of Type list at the bottom is set to .dbf. After you've located your dbf and have it selected click Link. I believe you will need to click Cancel for the next window that pops up, and then Access will give you a prompt saying &quot;Successfully Linked YourdbfTableName&quot;.

If you need an &quot;Access&quot; table you can run a make table query off of the linked dbf table which will allow you to create a new table in Access with the most up to date data.

this is just an idea. i've used it with success in the past.

hope this helps you.

Hi cghoga,

I've try out the way that you told me, but it still prompt out that message when I click the link button. :(
Do you have any idea?

Thank you
Regards
pyooi

It's a very strange fact but I received this message (err 3011) too when import exported dbase simple table (with indices) on my Access 2000 (I don't work with dBase files). But the table WAS imported OK! MS says (MSDN) that Jet used BDE if it was installed. My station has BDE installed with 3rd party app.
The exported dbase table was imported OK (without any comments about xxx#dbf objects) on Access 2002 installation without BDE (i.e. via native Jet xBase driver).
Single DBFs w/o index files imported OK w/o messages on 2000 and 2002.
If your Access really import the table (as mine), let Jet clashed with BDE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back