Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Import CSV, Manager has stopped working 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPOtech111

Programmer
Nov 15, 2010
US
I have this happen to me recently on multiple different systems (all 9.1 server editions) where I export the full configuration to a CSV, edit the config in excel, import the CSV back in with Manager, then when I go to save the config I get an error that Manager has stopped working and it crashes. Has anyone else experienced this and figured out why it is happening?

I personally have never had this issue.

With that said, I would also have to ask, why you would even be doing this??? It is a programming method of last resort. Excel will generally hose up your information, unless you have a lot of experience. I do make some programming changes this way, but typically just for specific sections, like large license files, or users, as most customers will have a list of extensions and users in an excel file for reference.

To export the entire data base, make changes, and import, IMHO, bad idea.

Dermis and feline can be divorced by manifold methods.*
*(Disclaimer for all advise given)--'Version Dependent'

Been doing it for years. If you know the correct process to do it in and you're careful it can save you hours of time. In this particular instance I'm working on a SE with 1300+ users and had to activate web self admin for every user which was off by default. Rather try than individually doing this for each user in Manager which would've taken all day and I probably would've went insane because of how tedious it wouldve been I could export it change a couple values in excel drag the value down through the column and import it back and be done in 5 minutes. Youre right in that this can be a bad idea if you aren't careful and don't know what you are doing then I'm sure you could easily corrupt your config. Like I said though I've been doing it for quite some time and have never had an issue and can't tell you how much time it has saved me.

Yes, Manager 9.1.8 crashes.
Told by Avaya last week: use R10.0.X Manager unless there's a pressing reason not to.
I haven't had Manager R10.0.x crash....

yet.

Q: why are pirates so mean?
A Because they arrrrr.

Pink for the clarification. I don't want this site to lead newbies down the wrong road. We have a few SE installs.... and a lot of regrets for not just doing an SCN...

Still holding off on R10.... 'cause I hate being a beta tester for a Major manufacturer... with out getting paid for it... (personal opinion) (corporate opinions may vary... {please read the fine print})

I may delete this post.... [yinyang]

On a side note.... I would put in a 'Beta tester' request to make it part of User Rights.... Seems like a system wide option that should be available as a user rights option....

In R10 webmanagement you can edit multiple users in one action.
Just select all user to change the same parameters, then change the parameter and save.
A nice wanna have in Manager too.
I've been a tech consultant for a distri for many years and I have handled a lot of weird acting systems because the engineering used the config.csv to program many parameter at once.
These angineers were no rookies and very confidend about using this method "we do this all the time, never a issue" like IPOtech111.
Still things happen and I strongly disagree on using this method. In my opinion it is plain stupid as the manager is build for it.

I have been looking forward to the multi user edit in R10 to avoid doing things this way.

Thanks holdmusic34 for the info.

FYI.
I too had issue with Manager 9.1.8 "Manager Stopped working" after CSV import.
Upgraded to Manager 10.0.0.1 and can now do CSV import without any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back