Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

import colour powerpoint diagram as grayscale into QX 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

alisonkb

Technical User
Mar 7, 2006
GB
Need to import colour powerpoint diagrams into QX4 as grayscale as part of a grayscale printing job. Any easy way without changing each part of diagram to a shade of gray in powerpoint? I don't have much experience with powerpoint, if a diagram is created there in grayscale, can you have confidence sending your quark file to the printers? Lots of diagrams to pull in, an easy solution would be very welcome!

If you have Acrobat and Illustrator, try the following...

Print from PowerPoint to Adobe PDF. Open the PDF in Illustrator and use the menu option (I forget which one offhand but its there) to convert all to grayscale.

Thanks jimoblak

Client will be filling in my template with their own files. They don't unfortunately have Illustrator or anything very useful, but could probably be persuaded into Acrobat Professional. I found an option in there to change the pdf to grayscale - well it was a choice of dot gains and gammas, so I tried one. Would this be considered a kosher grayscale file by quark?

Depending on what they're doing with the thing you can Save As PNG from Powerpoint. Click on the options box and select at lest 1200dpi In the Advanced Resolution settings.

You can then open in Photoshop (use the Open command in Photoshop) and go to Image menu/Mode and select grayscale. It cn then be saved as tiff or eps for insertion into Q4. You can use any image editing app that supports high resolution and converts to grayscale

If you have Acrobat, you can print a postscript file. Choose Adobe pdf as the ppd and postscript as the printer. In the Output pane under color select Composite gray and print the postscript. Distill the thing, open in Acrobat and Save As eps or tiff.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

If you are sending the files to a printing co.
Keep the PP files in 4/c and your printer will rip the files in composite grayscale.
This is the same as converting a 4/c image to graycsale in photoshop.

Thom

The longest jounney starts with the first step.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back