Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

import a TIFF or PSD with TRANSPARENCY into freehand? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

matroxini

Technical User
Apr 20, 2001
DE
Hi there,

I am trying really hard to import an image with a transparent background directly from photoshop (in any format) into freehand. I tried different formats (like TIFF, EPS), but none of them keeps the transparency. I inserted a alpha layer into the image, but then this layer was displayed as black (instead of transparent) in freehand after importing.
I know that there is this help feature in photoshop, which should help with exporting transparent images, but it does not work...
Would be very happy with some help :)
Matroxini

Looking into it , Matroxini.
Ya' Gotta Love It!
sleepyangelsBW.JPG

Try exporting as a GIF image wich alows the transparent background.

No good exported as a gif either-can anyone help i am having the same problems.

Take your art in PS, select it and turn the selection into a clipping path, then save the file as an EPS.
When you import it into FH, if you saved the EPS with a preview TIFF, you will see the art, and not just a box with an X in it. Nevertheless, the preview TIFF in FH will not show the transparent area. Your preview will display as a big rectangle. However, when you print the file to a POSTSCRIPT PRINTER, your image will appear as you imagined. Remember... postscript printer only!

If you are using Photoshop 7 or 8, create the graphic you want, and make sure the background is transparent (you should see the grey/white checkerboard around the object).

Then click on File> Save for web

That will open up a screen which has transparency dithering options in the top right corner. Set transparency on, and save it as a gif. The resulting gif can be imported directly into Freehand with transparency intact.

-Silverback67-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back