Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Implications of deleting Security certificates for DNS and IP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Excelerate2004

Programmer
Mar 8, 2004
CA
Hello to all who can help or make some use of my upcoming question,

Late last week my ISP changed my IP address, obviously this had disastrous ramifications on many of my network processes.

I first noticed my groupwise webaccess system went down and much later I noticed that I was unable to receive any external groupwise email, however I still could read email within my network.

I browsed through several forums and tech groups and was instructed to change the IP address in the MAGNUS.CFG file in order to get my GW web access back up. That was successful!

However I still cannot get any external email through my Groupwise email system.

I found this link:

It details the implications of changing the IP address on your server.

It states as one of the steps to reconfiguing the server is to delete the following:

SSL CertificateDNS (these are showing the old IP)
SSL CertificateIP

and then recreate them.

I am weary about doing so.

I'm just wondering what are the ramifications of deleting these?

Is there anything else I will need to recreate once these are deleted?

Is there any information I should get from these before deleting them?

Will this solve the issue related to not being able to receive external groupwise email?

Thanks for any help I can get

Your SSL certificates should have absolutely nothing to do with the ability to receive email.

If your IP address for your mail server changed, then you need to make sure the MX record for your domain is changed as well. The MX record is how other mail servers know how to get mail to your system. This really is nothing to do with Groupwise. The same thing would happen regardless of the mail program you are using.

Back to the SSL stuff... Most if not all of your SSL stuff should be internal to your network. If you do have one certificate on the public address, it's only for SSL encryption on your WebAccess. If you need to change that, it's an isolated problem and shouldn't require too much to resolve. Nothing like recreating all the SSL certs in your entire tree structure.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back