Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

impdp conventional path - documentation wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thargy

Technical User
Nov 15, 2005
GB
I am trying to find information about the impdp utility, as I wish to deliberately import in conventional mode, as opposed to the faster direct path.

I have read the documentation ( refers) and although it mentions all sorts of things, it does not appear to show how to invoke conventional path loading when using a parameter file.

Does anyone know how to do this, or even better, have a reference to some documentation which gives chapter and verse?

Regards

T

Grinding away at things Oracular

Hi
Just don't set the parameter direct=y in your parameter file.

HTH
Jim

Jim,

unfortunately, according to the mighty 'O', it can't be used. Below is an excerpt from the doco
Code:
Table 2-1 Original Export Parameters and Their Counterparts in Data Pump Export

Original Export Parameter Comparable Data Pump Export Parameter 
BUFFER
 A parameter comparable to BUFFER is not needed. 
COMPRESS
 A parameter comparable to COMPRESS is not needed. 
CONSISTENT
 A parameter comparable to CONSISTENT is not needed. Use FLASHBACK_SCN and FLASHBACK_TIME for this functionality. 
CONSTRAINTS
 EXCLUDE=CONSTRAINT 
[b]DIRECT 
 A parameter comparable to DIRECT is not needed. Data Pump Export automatically chooses the best method (direct path mode or external tables mode).[/b]
FEEDBACK
 STATUS
Sadly, the expdp utility makes up its own mind about what's best. There appears to be no way to make it stop going for direct mode.

This has all arisen from an import error, which is apparently a known bug in 10g, but which is fixed in 11g - sigh.

T

Grinding away at things Oracular

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back