Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

impact printer help

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeHaith

Programmer
Nov 12, 2002
US
Hi

I need to purchase an impact printer for my clients check printing process, but I know nothing about impact printers. They are currently using an Epson with the following specs

24 pin Narrow
300 cps
Copy Capability 4
Durabillity 4000 hrs

What does all this mean? I assume that cps is characters per second? And that durability is time between services? What about "Copy Capability" and the difference between the number of pins and Narrow vs Wide? If anyone can help me define the terms or point me in the direction of a website that can help me I would appreciate it.

Thank you in advance

Mike

Narrow=8" print line (80 chars @ courier10) wide=132 chars

24 pin is a higher quality print than 9 pin but slower (probably can go to 1200dpi vs. 9 pin's 300dpi)

300cps is characters per second using full line print

copy capability is # of sheets printed behind the original using carbon paper.

durability is a new one, but probably minimum estimated time before failure. That works out to 2 years of printing at 8 hours per day. And like MTBF for hard drives, it is a figment of the manufacturer's sale manager's imagination.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Thank you Ed, that helps a lot.

Now if I want to buy a comperable printer, I just need one that is 24 pin Narrow. And I can go up and down on the other 3 specs. Just out of curiosity, do you recommend one brand of printer over another? We currently use Okidata and Epson.

Thank you again

Mike

My customers use both plus Brother. But probably more of my customers use Oki. There is a nice Epson, model DFX8000 oo 8500 , one of which has dual paper path that one of my customes loves.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back