Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

imbalance of processed traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpast

MIS
Sep 3, 2002
US
Hello all –

I’m trying to figure out what is causing the input queues on my 6509 core router vlans to fill up to the point where excessive input drops are occurring. Related to this is the question of why most of the traffic on those vlans is process-switched, instead of fast- or cef-switched. A ‘show ip cef adj punt’ and ‘show ip cef adj drop’ shows nothing dropped or punted.

To my knowledge, the only traffic that should be process-switched is that which is destined for the router (routing updates, management traffic, keepalives, etc.). We do have netflow switching enabled on many of the vlan SVIs. “Show process cpu” shows a lot of IP and ARP traffic. Average cpu uitilization is low, and output drops are 0. But the drops on the input queues (tail-dropped) are causing problems for TCP traffic.

Is it the netflow traffic that is causing the huge imbalance?

The routers are hybrid catOS/IOS -- Cat6k-MSFC2 (R7000) processor with 114688K/16384K bytes of memory. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

...actually, I did take this a bit further by getting output from "show interfaces [type number] switching" and then "show ip traffic". The results showed that there were no cache misses, indicating that the excessive processing was for traffic destined for the router, and that the dropped traffic was 'ip traffic' dropped due to "encapsulation failed" and "no route".

Seeing this, is there any way I can break it down further, to see what routes failed and what 'encapsulation' failed?

Many thanks

Hi AnotherTechie,

seems that I got a very similar problem. Did you already find any solution or explanation for this.

Thanks a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back