Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IMAP vs POP3 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

OUCATS

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2002
US
I understand the basic advantages of IMAP over POP, but I have a security question about IMAP. Our current provider offers POP3 with authentication. When I have asked him about switching us to IMAP, he said that IMAP is more of an open format and that there isn't any security to protect my email. Is this correct??

I am looking for an email solution that will leave the email on the server (and mark whether it's been read or not) so that I can log on from either work, home or the road and my email all look the same. But I don't want to be insecure if at all possible.

Any ideas??

Thanks!

Booth POP and IMAP can be used with various forms of authentication. You might also connect via a secure channel, such as SSL. There are several forums dealing with IMAP; have a look at e.g.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back