Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

imap server out of mem error

Status
Not open for further replies.

raven1

Technical User
Aug 1, 2002
US
We have an user who hets a message stating that "imap4rev1 server is crashing,out of memory. Ok ,so I know its not,I suspect the user has a email that is too big for the server to handle.My questions is...how to I view the imap inbox to delete the message from there? I log in as root and??? any help much appreciated asap.
thank you

I would run "cat /prom/meminfo" to see what the memory usage is on your mail server. Also run "netstat --inet" to see if possibly there are redundant connections that are using up memory.

If the problem is just that user then you need to know what MTA you use such as sendmail or qmail. The users actual mail files will live somewhere such as /var/qmail/users.

Thanks paleogryph the problems has been fixed and it was a rather larger email(180MB)trying to be deilvered.However,should this happen again I would like to able to fix this without having to call our consultant.So...I did the /var/qmail/user but got an error saying "no such directory".I can see that qmail is indeed the MTA/ because if I do "cd /var ,ls and I can see qmail there.Is it possible to go to the gui and be able to understand more of what I'm looking at?

If the box that runs qmail merely forwards mail to another box, then the actual mail files may not be on this box. If this box doesn't forward mail anywhere else then you may want to look in /var/qmail/alias. Just poke around and you should find the files/dirs in question.

Also, your consultant, or whoever configured your mail servers, should have provided you with very detailed documentation on how they are configured, what files are important in the overall scheme, where they are, etc;. Get this info.

Don't waste your time in the linux gui. Thats only for web browsing, word processing, image editing, etc;. Its better to get used to the cli for things like this.

Hi,

If you said, there is one big email trying to be sent, you should check mail queue first for any queue message or preferably mail log file, which give you more info. Suspend the big mail for later sending.

If you want set a rule where only certain size of mail can go through.

regards,
feroz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back