Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

imap and pop e-mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

cshack

Technical User
Mar 20, 2001
GB
hello,
I have outlook express with a dial-up connetion email to totalise.co.uk. The problem I'm having is that I need to set up a POP account using the totalise isp. What I normally use is the isp smtp address to send out emails but totalise is a imap and the send out address is mail.totalise.co.uk.

example:
incoming mail address normally would be mail.domainanme.co.uk, outgoing address would be your usual isp address - smtp.ntlworld.com, this has been tested and tried in express on another machine and everything is peachy, but trying to use the totalise outgoing address doesn't work (I think it's because it's imap).

Sorry if this sounds long winded and unclear.

Many thanks in advance.

Cshack

I'm not sure what version of Express you're using but in version 6 when you are setting up a new e-mail account on the page where you fill in the servers you are asked if the server is a POP3 IMAP or HTTP.

Try again but have a look for a drop down on the servers page.

Are you saying that your mail provider uses IMAP,
and you want to use POP3? You shouldnt be able to connect,
or if you do, it cant be good,..

You need to use what your provider uses. Also Outlook Express does not work well with IMAP. OUTLOOK itself does much better.

What are you doing with your ingoing and outgoing addresses?
Why are they to different domains?

smtp.ntlworld.com, and mail.totalise.co.uk ?

I'm having trouble figuring out what you mean...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back