Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

imaging with OEM licenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowbot

MIS
Jan 17, 2008
US
Im going to image a bunch of XP and 2000 machines but the business doesnt own a volume key, just OEM keys attached to the side of the PC.

What is the best practice for imaging a single image on all these machines? Should I just take the image with a single key and then change it with some tool (registry?) after the first boot?

The solution I need needs to work in 2000 pro too. So I'll be working with at least two images, one for XP and another for 2000. In the past Ive done this with volume keys only. Thanks!

PS In the past I never imaged a machine that was on the domain. Is it possible to make an image of a domain computer after its been removed from the domain? I guess I should be able to generate a unique identifier with a free tool.

I don't know the answer, these are some things I came across while looking around.

"Each version of SysPrep is specific to one version and service pack level of Windows. You can obtain the XP SP2 version here and the 2000 SP4 version here............"
Moving Windows to new hardware without reinstalling

"We maintain several images for workstations and use different media to create them. The OEM images only work w/ the key on the side of the box".
Sysprep License Problem

"Recently, I had the same problem as you - I had an OEM install of XP on a Compaq Evo and we wanted to roll this image out to our Corporate users - this would not work as we had to enter the product key on each workstation during the mini set-up"
Replacing XP OEM Product key with volume license key

Using the System Preparation Tool (Sysprep) in an Image-Based Installation

SysPrep Guide

How Sysprep Works

You could try your luck in the Server Forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back