Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Imaging Windows 2000 with ZEN 3.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rweir

MIS
Jul 9, 2001
US
We are using ZEN 3.2 and rely on the automatic pc-naming feature to import a newly-imaged pc into the tree. When imaging Windows 2000 machines, the pc name is never changed from the original name we used during the installation of the base image. We did the following when creating the image:

1) Installed windows 2000 and common apps
2) Configured default profile
3) Rebooted PC and ran ZISClear to clear image-safe data
4) Took image of PC via PXE
5) Push image to new pc

These steps worked perfectly for 98 machines, and I understand the problem may be with the SID 2000 assigns to the pc. Any ideas?

Thanks for the reply, but sysprep was not an option. We found that if you include the zenworks imaging agent during a custom install of the Novell client, Zenworks will create a unique SID and import the PC with a unique name based on the criteria you select in the import policy. Using this, you can image a PC without having to visit the actual workstation, pushing all applications out with AOT's.

Your best bet is to use sysprep, however, if you haven't been able to work a solution around the issues with sysprep, your next option is to use your policy to assign a new SID.

I have deployed XP to a large multi-national here in Australia, and I used SYSPREP to generate the SIDs. No issues. Few hurdles you need to cross, but once thesse are done, no problems and the solution is so sweet. :)

Good luck.

Zen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back