Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

imaging OS partitions with Clonezilla and similar programs and making them bootable

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPOpotamus

Programmer
Mar 29, 2010
CO
imaging OS partitions with Clonezilla and similar programs and making them bootable

Hi tektippers

I’ve using this restoration Tools for several months (Clonezilla, Acronis), results have been good,
however I had a reappearing frustration, to make a backed up partition bootable when restoring.

I mean:
I make a backup of my OS partition (windows 2008 R2 / R1, 7, etc), say 50 GB only, but when I restore it, even in the same computer it will NOT be bootable.
If I make a whole disk image say 1000GB, although only one partition of 50 GB exists, it will not be able to be restored on a physical disk smaller than 1000GB, that’s a hard limitation.

What I am trying to do is to clone OS to save time of installation, or as a backup of my own machine in case of critical failure.
I would read a book, make a course, go to the university, or whatever to learn how to do it!

cloning work is what all of we look for, to have time, to have life, is it true or not?

=== having a NICE time with NICE ===

Not being able to restore to a smaller drive is Clonezilla's biggest Achilles heel. What I typically do is build the image off a small hard drive (e.g., 80GB, 120GB), clone it with Clonezilla, and then restore onto the larger hard drive I want to use. Obviously, this only works for base images and not for periodic backups that may someday need to be restored onto a smaller drive, but it's better than nothing!

If you find a better workaround, let us know!

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Ghost is okay with going from larger to smaller drive.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Acronis should be too, actually. As for free solutions, I'm not aware of one.

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

Why not use System Image built into win7 and win8? Works great and you already have it.

-CL

Acronis is fine with it. 2 in the last 2 days.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

lopes1211,

System Image, which is built into Win7 and Win8 is an good suggestion, but it too suffers from the same limitation as CloneZilla. You can only restore the image onto a drive that is the same size or greater. The OP wants an image that has the option of being restored onto a smaller drive.

-Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back