Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

imaging error

Status
Not open for further replies.

mosc9562

Technical User
Aug 24, 2004
US
Hello,
We are running zenworks suite 7 and I am trying to get imaging to work through pxe. I am at a point I get the PC to boot and it finds the pxe server, the pc receives it's ip address and I guess the counter on top counts down and an error is displayed:
ERROR: The server did not respond as requested in time
ZENworks shutting down.

Also I can never hit ctrl-alt for the menu, that doesn't do anything.

I must be missing something just not sure what. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Frank

Have you configured a server policy?

The option to bring up the menu with ctrl-alt needs to be configured in the server policy.

Also, is your DHCP server on the same server as the PDHCP module? (aka, do you run your Zen agents on the same server as your DHCP server?) If they are on the same server, there is special consideration you need to take in the setup of your DHCP server.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt SPOOOOON!!!!! [hippy]
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple

Hey,
We do have a server policy setup. Under it we have imaging enabled and under properties of that for the PXE Settings we have Always display the PXE menu.

I don't know of anything else that needs to be enabled to just be able to get the menu.

Thanks for the help so far!

well, the error message your getting may be telling you that the system is trying to get you the menu, but it can't.

Double check the DHCP / PDHCP coexistence, properly configure your DHCP server if they both run on the same box.

Double check and make sure your TFTP server is running.

Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple

Hey,

DHCP and PDHCP are not on the same system and TFTP is up and running.

I agree with you, the system is waiting for something from the server but the server isn't sending it! Not sure what else to try or any tests I can do to narrow down the problem.

Thanks again.

PXE modules to check,

TFTP.NLM - already verified
PDHCP.NLM - already verified

DTS.NLM ? is it running?

PXE config files to check,

What are the entries in SYS:\System\tftp.ini that do NOT have a # symbol in front of them?

What are the entries in SYS:\System\pdhcp.ini that do NOT have a # symbol in front of them?

Other things to check
Is there more that one IP address on the PXE server?

If yes, when you type in CONFIG, is the first IP address listed the one PXE should be listening on?

When you go into TCPCON.NLM > Protocol Information > UDP;
is port 69 (TFTP) listed? and is port 4011 (PDHCP) listed?

Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple

Hey,
All 3 NLMs are loaded.
tftp.ini
ReadPath=SYS:\tftp\
WriteProtect=1
BlksizeDisabled=0
IPADDRESS=10.18.0.12 (IP address of server)

pdhcp.ini
USE_DHCP_PORT=1
MTFTP_REOPEN_TIMEOUT=2
These two lines were not commented out. I commented out both of these lines and unloaded tftp.nlm, pdhcp.nlm and dts.nlm reloaded them and same result.

Under TCPCON I see tftp listed but not pdhcp!

And there is only one IP address listed.

Thanks for the help!

CORRECTION....

PDHCP IS LISTED! I missed it, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back