Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Images with Secure DB Scripts

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfhwargt3

Programmer
Sep 19, 2006
US
Hi All,

I have a very general question before I start a project. The answer will help me decide how to move forward with the project. Any help is appreciated.

I will be placing an image on some of my friend's websites. This image will be clickable and when the user does click on it, I want to verify this image was legitimately put there by me, or the user. Obviously the information needed would be their specific identity (a username and password) so I can check a database maintained remotely to make sure it is legit. When the image is clicked I want to bring up a generic webpage that will either confirm or deny that this image was given to the user by me and me only. The webpage will be hosted on my site, so the when the database is accessed and it returns whether this is a legit copy of my image, my webpage will be accessed and the confirmation page will be loaded with the appropriate message.

I hope all of that makes sense. My question is as follows:

1. Besides the username and password, I will need some sort of encrypted number/string that will be another field that will be checked withing the database, or is there a way to do this on the fly? Also I should need the IP address of the user of that site right?

2. is the best way to hide this information in a javascript file? I need everything to be secure.

The main goal of this project is to not allow the image to be copied to another website and still work on that website.

Thanks.

Also, I am assuming I will need the user's ip address the image was clicked from to make sure it is the same ip address I have stored in the database.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back