Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Images losing quality when I save them

Status
Not open for further replies.

dthomas31uk

Technical User
Oct 19, 2003
GB
I am having a bit of a problem, never experienced this problem before, well not as drastic as this. Say I draw a rectangle in photoshop with a fill color of say #d138b6. When I go to save it to web the image shown in the preview is cloudier than the one I created. Have tried changing cmyk, rgb etc but it is still doing this. Does anyone know why? Cheers guys. Hope someone can help. Thanks. Am using CS3

I am using a mac. The colours are all cloudied out in gif's and jpeg's. Think its some issue with macs. Have tried changing color settings etc, but no joy. Unticked srgb when I save an image no joy.

...in the save for web dialog you have color options in the arrow top right of this dialog, depending on what it is set to you get differing results...

...in photoshop choose edit > convert to profile > sRGB IEC61966-2.1...

...typical workflow is to convert to profile sRGB IEC61966-2.1 before entering save for web, and then in save for web choose "use document color profile" from the arrow options top right...

...if your working space is already sRGB IEC61966-2.1 then no conversion is required...

...although the web is not color managed in many browsers, the web assumes sRGB, so therefore an sRGB conversion is the best method...

Andrew

...to see what i really mean, view your final jpg images in firefox and safari...

...safari is color managed, however firefox is not, and firefox is typical of most users on the web...

Andrew

...this does depend if you embed an icc profile, without an icc profile, safari should look the same as firefox...

...anyway, the save for web dialog is a pretty misleading one...

Andrew

...and to add further, the near true end result often looks more like the "uncompensated color" option in save for web, for most users on the web...

...with that option selected the non-color managed browsers out there will look more like that...

...however, to add further to the mix, one monitor doesn't display color the same as another, so if someone viewed the icc tagged rgb image in say safari, they might be closer to what you see, because of the color management built into that browser...

...so yes, very confusing, and very tricky to be absolutely sure that what an end user sees is what you are seeing...

...in reality you won't really know...

Andrew

...for further example, here is your color (#d138b6) created in eciRGB_v2 color space, saved without profile from save for web:

...here is the same saved WITH profile:

...here is the same, converted to sRGB, saved without profile from save for web:

...and finally here, converted to sRGB, saved WITH profile:

...the ones WITH profile, look like photoshop in safari, the ones without look like firefox in safari...

...when all viewed in firefox, they all look the same...

Andrew

Well answered Andrew, you saved me some time in answering this :)

It's of utmost importance that your working space is the same colour space as you are saving for. Otherwise you will see different variations in colour.

The colour your viewing might have been in a rgb colour mode, but the working space could have been in a Prepres for Print mode.

So the colours will always look different.

You have to have the colour mode as RGB and the Working Space as sRGB for the web.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back