Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Images in MS Word

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayersart

Technical User
Dec 21, 2004
US
I received a MS Word document with a picture embedded in it. How do I find out what format the picture is in (ie bmp, jpg, wmf)?

Also, when I place a WMF file into word (wmf is vector), it is distorted. It prints okay, but it is distorted on screen. If I right click, then go to edit picture, but don’t edit it, the image then shows clearly on screen. Does this alter the image from vector to raster?

One rather round-about way of finding out what it is (Word is not much help with this) is to double-click on the pic, which should open it up in whatever photo editor you have (probably Microsoft Photo Editor).
Then go to save and it will show it as being in some format, and that is what is it is currently. You may save it as something else (e.g., a .bmp as a .gif) but that wasn't your question...might want to do so if it is too large, though.

That didnt work. It wont open it in an image editing program. File size doesnt matter I just need the placed image to be vector. I have MS Word 2002. But it doesnt matter that much, but what I need to know is the 2nd question I asked.

There must be a way to save graphic material out of word documents. I haven't been able to find it yet, though.

One way to tame graphics within word is to edit the graphic by double clicking on it or going to properties (of the graphic file) and choosing text placement. For some reason once you have done this (I choose picture in text, with text flush to borders or even picture transparent to text) the graphic seens to show and behave better, you can move or resize it, etc.

Regarding the sizing issue.

I've found over the years that when working with images in word (and strangly charts in word and excel) is to have your zoom at 100% first of all.... though this doesn't always solve the problem.

then, and I'm sure you've already tried this, right click on the image and select "Size" and click "reset" (all at 100% view). If you also double click, or edit, the image, make sure any zoom options there are 100%

What was the WMF created in?

As i've said, none of this may work, but it has done for us in past, and we always tend to work at 100% zoom, and the problem rarely occurs now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back