Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Image Servers and InDesign!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesmurphy

Technical User
Jan 3, 2006
GB
I'm looking for an image management solution!

We currently store all our images (Hi-Res Tifs) on a large 100GB Image Server. We then link all our work stations to this server so that when placing images in InDesign files they are always the Hi-Res files.

However, our image server is running out of space, we can't remove any of the files as they are all in use and I'm not sure the answer is to keep buying bigger and bigger Servers...

Can anyone suggest any ideas? I'm sure there must be an application to resolve this!

I have thought about storing the images on hard drives and linking to them - but this is no good when you have multiple people working on the same job!

I have also considered placing Lo-Res files on the image server, but this will mean additional time needed to place Hi-Res files after the artwork is signed off. And that is not good time management on a 200+ page brochure!

Thanks SO much for any info.

I'm sure you meant something more than a 100GB capacity server, which would be tiny for storing a bunch of tiffs.

Depending on the server, and its ports, it's likely that you could ad either internal or external drives (firewire 800 probably being the fastest without getting into higher end stuff). Theoretically they should show up as drives on the server. You can get 2TB striped outboard RAIDS (firewire 800) for about 600 dollars. If you want striped + mirror the cost is about double.

Also, depending on the number of drive bays, you should be able to add bigger drives to your existing machine. I assume that you already have a backup for the present server so replacing drives should not be a problem. However if you have a RAID, it can get harder.

Using OSX 10.3.9 & 10.4.11 on a G4, G5 & Intel Macbook

...lores image placement (FPO) and swapped for hires images is known as OPI...

...if your serious about OPI integration then the best available solution is from Dalim, known as Twist:

...of course, this still requires storage space to store both lores and hires images, so if you are finding that space is an issue (even after regular backups) then more storage is really the only solution, and for future proofing you need to go BIG, near to the terabytes really, files sizes have always been increasing with new software releases that allow users special effects and the like...

...100GB isn't all that large, most desktop computers can exceed that, for a server this isn't a huge amount if you are dealing with large publications across multiple users...

...personally i would consider a strong investment in larger server space, decent daily automated backup workflow to external tape drive (retrospect possibly), the daily backups to tapes stored in fire proof vault or off premises, and Dalim Twist (or equivalent, but Dalim are the best I've worked with) for your OPI solution...

Andrew

Fork out the extra cash for a 2tb drive, or even a 1tb to get you by.

I wouldn't touch OPI with a barge pole to be honest, did it before and it was the way to work on something that I could imagine, perhaps we had it set up wrong (well the "manager" did) and I didn't have a pleasant experience with it.

Sure my set up at home, for myself:

Desktop computer with 160gb drive

Laptop with 160gb drive

Wireless network storage (that's a network hard drive with a wireless card, that is on my network), that's 1tb with expansion for one more drive.

And that's just at home.

...yes, OPI setup is important if you invest in it...

...i wouldn't knock OPI though, it is stable in the right hands, and with experience of OPI in a workforce of 43 people i wouldn't use anything other than a Dalim Twist infrastructure, never had a problem...

...if one was to go for a cheaper OPI than i would be cautious and expect sleepless nights...

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back