Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

image saved looks different than preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

crayoncrayon

Programmer
May 12, 2002
CA
When I optimize an image and then save it as a jpg, the saved image is of a lesser quality than the previewed image. Seems like if my images go through Fireworks, they don't come out looking as good as the original, despite manipulating with the attributes (quality, smoothing, etc..). My image has areas which kind of fade into each other, a blurry/smudgy patch. When I go to the Export Preview in Fireworks, but it seems to be saving under a lesser quality. Does it have anything to do with the resolution?
This is so frustrating, coz I already took a course on image optimizing, but I don't recall encountering this problem!
Thanks in advance.
Crayon

make sure your resolution is set to 72
then in fireworks go to the optimize tab and set it to jpeg and the quality to 80(this works fine and keeps filesize pretty small)
remember to use gifs only if you have solid colors and the are all separated ie. no gradients since gifs work on each individual pixel and gives it a color value they dont work well with most images that have some sort of style or fancy work done on.
[afro] excuse me can i have some more

Yep, I even tried setting to 100, i tried bmp and gif format, but still had those bumpy lines.
I couldn't find where to change the resolution though? I could change it for a new image, but not for an exisiting image? (am I making any sense? !)
I've also tried in Adobe Elements, just to see the difference, and when I save the file with the funciton 'save as web..' it will have those ugly lines. If I just save as a regular file with jpg format, it's perfect. any ideas?
Crayon

dont save as web.....save as a jpg or gif excuse me can i have some more

ok in fireworks go to export wizard and chose save for web....then once you get to the export screen make sure it says jpg and cut the loss to 80
then export...i do it like this and have never had a problem excuse me can i have some more

I tried that also, and still.... sectional look.
If it's not too much trouble, could you take a look at my example page? I've set up this page with an image of the orignal "good" image, and also a fireworks-edited image.
Thanks!
Crayon

they both look fine to me excuse me can i have some more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back