Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Image resolution question

Status
Not open for further replies.

biagio

Technical User
Jun 24, 2003
US
I am a fairly new AI9.o user and am stumped. I set up a new AI page at 800dpi Output Res. and 350ppi Rasterization Res. I had to place several images from Photoshop into the AI file. I placed them as embedded files and the images were all 350dpi EPS files. They looked great in AI, but when I sent the finished file to the printer, he said the photos were 72dpi.

So I backtracked and made sure of everything by doing the placing again. When I select a placed image in AI and cut/paste it back into Photoshop it still says the images are 72dpi (which I'm certain they're not). I'm on the PC platform and of course I'm up against a deadline -- is there anyone who could held end my misery. Thank you.
Ben

Why not just link the files instead of embedding? It means you'll have to send the Photoshop files along with the Illustrator file, but you can guarantee they'll be exactly as you've set them up in Photoshop.

Blueark....thank you for taking the time to help. I was hoping to avoid doing that since it's four rather large files. I think what I'm hearing is that there's no way to avoid that. THANK YOU once again.

Ben

If you're using several picture...

Maybe you can try to use an lay-out software,

(Adobe Indesing or Quark Express!!)(BTW Indesign Rules!)

The thing is, whether you embed or link, large files are going to take up a lot of space. You can reduce the resolution of embedded files in Illustrator, or you can do the same thing with linked files in Photoshop. It doesn't really make much difference. But as RinoRacing pointed out, dedicated page layout packages do a much better job of this.

I believe that your problem lies in using cut/paste. This technique uses the clipboard, which is the source of the downsampling to 72 dpi. However, if you use the File--Place command this will not occur and you will get the actual resolution of the image.

Given that file size is an issue, I question the necessity of using 350 dpi. Conventional wisdom suggests that resolution should equal twice the line screen ruling, which would mean 300 dpi for 150 line screen printing. In practice you will find that almost no one will be able to tell the difference if you use 225 dpi instead of 300 dpi, and the file size savings is enormous. Keep in mind that the relationship between file size and dpi is exponential rather than linear, so a 225 dpi file will be roughly 40% smaller than a 350 dpi file.

When i copy from photoshop into illustrator (using CS) the size of the image is radically changes. a photo for instance that is 800x600 in photoshop comes into illustrator looking like 80x60? I am clueless. i can scale the image in illustrator and it retains the proper resolution, but when i need the pixel size to be exact that isn't an option. i am sure i am just missing something simple??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back