Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Image resizing trauma!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nattylou

IS-IT--Management
Mar 17, 2003
Hello all :eek:)

I'm having a little bother with Adobe Photoshop. When I copy an image from one document to another within Photoshop itself, I find that it resizes itself (smaller) so that I have to resize every image again when creating new documents in this way.

It was initially a problem in Photoshop 6, but continued to happen when I upgraded to 7. I am running it on a Mac G4. Am I missing some glaringly obvious setting that someone else has found?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Nat

Not sure what you mean about copying images from one document to another in Photoshop? Are you copying an image in a Word document or something and pasting it into Photoshop, or vice versa? Or are you copying an image in Photoshop and pasting it into another PS image? If the latter, check what the image settings are at for each one. If one is in pixels, and the other is in inches, then it's going to seem larger in the pixels-based image than the inches based one. If the former, Word pastes images in funny, and they have to be adjusted manually by clicking on it and adjusting the 'handles'. If you mean something else entirely, let us know.

I am copying from one photoshop document to another.

We checked the pixels/inches and they are set the same in each document, as are the document size and dpi etc, it doesn't matter if we cut/copy and paste from one to the other or just drag and drop, we still get the same problem.

Thanks for the ideas :)

The only other silly thing I can think of is to check what percentage your windows are at? If one is at 100% and the other at 66% there would seem to be a discrepancy. I've never had a problem like you're describing, but I'm on the windows version of Photoshop, so maybe its a Mac version glitch?

I think it may well be a mac thing, the images are definitely a different size, as you have to resize them within the image box once pasted across. Thanks for having a go though, much appreciated.

Hrm, one more thing to check. Is the mode on each on the same? (ie RGB, Indexed color, etc.) I've thrown up a post in Adobe.com's Photoshop for MAC forum to see if those folks have any ideas. If I get any answers I'll let you know!

Yep, all CMYK, thanks again, I may try adobe again myself, I think I got distracted last time.

Thanks

So far both responses I've gotten relate to resolution:

The first:
I bet the resolution is different-to perform a test, perhaps they could copy an area with identifiable pixels and see if any are created or destroyed.

The Second:
No glitch...the documents are different...most likely resolution (perhaps one is ppi and the other is pp/cm?)

the resolution must be the same on copy and paste,
on Mac and PC otherwise the image will change size.
Thom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back