Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Image resize question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightsoft

Programmer
Aug 23, 2001
DK
HI everybody.

I'm trying to make an upload thing in php, which has a resize function.. But when doing 20 pics at 2.2 MB a piece, it takes a lot of time.
Is it possible to take the image one have selectede in a form and resize it before uploading... I have searched for coding examples, for two days now, but all i find is resizing in a page, and not the actual file data..

Plzzz Any help is greatly wanted

Thnx.

Machine code Rocks:)

I doubt you could manage this without some sort of ActiveX control or Java applet.

It's possible the canvas object appearing in some browsers could do this, but I've really not looked into it to know.

You might want to read my FAQ, "Detecting the dimensions of an image client-side" (faq216-5781) - at least that way you could tell the user their file was too large, and for them to resize it locally - then disallow the upload.

Hope this helps,
Dan

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

Thanks BillyRay.

Though it wasn't the solution :) the ref, about getting width and height, you've sendt me, was another thing i was looking for. :)
I too think that the user have to make their images smaller.. My boss likes to take 2MB pictures, and want to upload 20 at a time... Giant pictures...
But anyway. I'll look into if I can find some applet or some..
Or else I'll have to teach him how to make the images smaller.

See ya

Machine code Rocks:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back