Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

image programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashaikh01

IS-IT--Management
Jul 1, 2002
GB
I have xp pro with 240 gb hdd. 1 40gb which has xp and other programs installed and the other 200 is partitioned to 100 gb each. what is the best program if i wanted to make an image and copy it to my 100gb partition

A good question is half of knowledge

I prefer Acronis True Image 8.0 for its versatility and ease of use.

Another contender would be Symantec’s Norton Ghost 9.0, which has absorbed a former product by PowerQuest called Drive Image.

I've no experience with the new Norton Ghost 9. I'm totally happy with True Image. One feature of it, which I don't see listed for Ghost, is its ability to restore individual files and folders through its image explorer. This feature mounts an image as another drive on your system, which then can be explored like any other drive.

Don't know about Ghost 9 - but Ghost2003 has a similar explorer feature - if the original partition was fat32 you can update the files in the image using it also.

I've generally been happy using Ghost, though like most Norton (symantec) software (IMO), it has a tendency to do its own thing without warnings if you are not careful (yes - I've been not careful a couple of times! - one overwrote a partition when I was trying to save an image to the partition - could have done with a 'this is what you're about to do' screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back