Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

image library woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jez

Programmer
Apr 24, 2001
VN
Hi there,

I am trying to install GIMP, but finding it very hard.

I have found that i need just about all the dependancies possible and have installed most of them.

When it comes to the image libraries, i have downloaded and installed the jpeg,png & tiff libraries.

BUT when i do a ./configure on GTK (the last dep before i can try GIMP itself), it complains about not finding any of these image libraries.

Can anyone tell me exactly where the image libraries should be, so that i can check whether they have gone in correctly.

I am using debian 3.0

Thanks.

JEz

BUT when i do a ./configure on GTK (the last dep before i can try GIMP itself), it complains about not finding any of these image libraries.

Can anyone tell me exactly where the image libraries should be, so that i can check whether they have gone in correctly.

If you are doing a './configure', then it sounds like you are trying to compile Gimp from source. If that's the case, you need the <image library>-devel package too. They are header files that your compiler needs to compile the program.

However, I have to go with thedaver here and point out the humanly-impossible-to-conceive power that is unleashed when invoking the 'apt-get install <package name>' command. It should install the basic gimp package, plus everything gimp requires to run. You'll probably also want to install a few others, like 'gimp-data-extras', 'gimp-manual', etc (not 100% sure about those names, don't have a debian box to check out here at work). Last I tried, there was a seperate 'gimp-ungif' or similar in the non-free tree that you had to install to get .gif support.

----
JBR

Thanks guys,

The message about APT is certainly understood!
I carried on regardless and managed to make a mess of something to do with GTK, basically no fonts were visible atall after rebooting the sytem, so nothing even on the GDM login screen.

SO... I used apt to remove gnome entirely, (it was 2.2 and a colleague told me part of my troubles could be to do with that).

I am now back up and running with KDE and no sources of gimp/gtk lying around.... so now i am going to do gimp with APT.

Thanks for the tips though, one of the best things about debian is APT, so i guess i should get used to that a bit more.

Thanks again,

JEz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back