Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Image handling 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcowen

Programmer
Oct 21, 2001
GB
Hi,
I am working on a project that involves the uploading of images to a server for display on my site. I'm likely to have a minimum of 100,000 images a year and I have little (or no) idea how to manage them.
What I would like is to show a thumbnail on the user's page with it being a link to the larger picture. How do I manage the saving of images on my server farm?

Matt

Matt,

To answer your immediate question (how to save images)... you will need to use server-side code. HTML alone cannot do this. You will need to ask in the forum what whatever server-side technology you are using.

That being said... Don't take this the wrong way... but it sounds like you are way out of your depth here.

You're planning on managing images on a huge scale (100,000 a year), on server farms... and yet you have no idea how you are going to save them. This sounds like running before you can walk.

Have you architeched this project out? Do you have any idea how well it will scale?

Just questions that are ringing alarm bells for me right now.

Hope this helps,
Dan

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

You could use a server-side call to generate the thumbnail dynamically for you as they are requested (depending on the libraries available to you for manipulating images).

You could use a program like Photoshop to batch-process your hires images and generate thumbnails which you would upload and treat just like your hires images.

You could store the thumbnails in the database and deliver them on request.

I suggest you take a look at the 3 best sites out there that already do this kind of thing (you will probably have a better idea about what sites than I would). Figure out how they do it (what technologies they use etc). Engage the site developers with some questions (if you can).

Put together a proposal that describes what you think you will do (and be sure to take into consideration what server resources you will have available)... and post it back (to the web designers forum, maybe). I'm sure you will get feedback.

Cheers,
Jeff

[tt]Jeff's Page [/tt][tt]@[/tt][tt] Code Couch
[/tt]

I Would have to agree, with BillyRay. If your planning on having this kind of flow, are you sure your equiped to handle it?? This is a massive project and would by all means require some type of server type technology.

There are alot of issues here to consider. What traffic Bandwith. and Server capacity for image storage do you have?

Depending on the size and color depth and resolution, images cna be very large in terms of filesize.

Supposing high quality images. around 500KB each, and that's going very low.
You have 500Kb * 100,000 thousand images, you just filled up 48GB of storage. Now suppose you have images at around 2 to 3mb each what happens then.

What kind of arquitecture do you have that will withstand large data transfers, to accomodate the images. So that when requested they are displayed quickly.

Just some things to think about.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back