Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Image gallery uploadable thru browser no sql

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjmichner

Technical User
Jul 30, 2006
US
Hello - I recently created a website for a musician who plays frequently and wants to be able to update his photo gallery often (like daily). I am looking for ideas for the easiest way for HIM to be able to do this and save me all that time. Anyone know of a great way to upload images through his browser without sql (i dont want to get him into that).

I have looked into php and most require sql. Is PHP the way to go for this? And, do you know of a good freeware script that is user friendly?

I am trying to avoid an external hosted gallery like bravenet because of the ads and I would prefer to keep the gallery consistent with the "look" of his site.

Thanks for any suggestions!

If you have access to ColdFusion, you can use it's directory listing features. You can easily build a page to display all images in a certain directory, and give your client ftp access to that directory. Then, whenever he uploads a new pictures, it is instantly displayed on the website. All of this and no SQL!

If you really want to get technical, you could also build a ColdFusion web interface to allow your client to upload the images, automatically resize them, then place them in the directory and display them on the website. Again, no SQL!

Hope This Helps!

ECAR
ECAR Technologies

"My work is a game, a very serious game." - M.C. Escher

Depending how familiar you are with PHP you may find this useful

It's a very old bit of code I wrote and could do with some improvement (one of which is the function used for thumbnail generation). But it does what you want to do i.e. it allows th e uploading of images to a set directory, creates thumbnails of those images and creates a "gallery" of the thumbnails.

I warn you though, it may not work on your server AND you will almost certainly need to modify it to make it any real use.

I also have a set of PHP functions for handling image uploads and thumbnail generation. Again though they should only be a starting point for you to work with.

<honk>*:O)</honk>
Foamcow Heavy Industries - Web site design in Cheltenham and Gloucester
Earl & Thompson Marketing - Marketing Agency Services in Gloucesterhire

thank you both very much! i will investigate both options.

I don't see why it should bother him, or you, if there's a mySQL database keeping track of things in the background, provided he has a nice friendly interface to load his images with. He'll never see a word of SQL.

Still take a look here: . 150 ready-made scripts to choose from, you should find one that suits you. If you don't, there's another 60 perl-based ones at
-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back