Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Image from an external DVD player or an external usb hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

pilonbrad

Technical User
Nov 19, 2005
CA
Hey,

At the High School where I work we are running Netware 6.0 SP5 and Zenworks 4.01 ir6.

When we replace a hard drive with a new one, we install the Zen Partition, do the config and then our last step is to bring down an image.

Unfortunately our only means of dropping down an image is from the network either through normal imaging or through multicast sessions.

When we drop an image down from the network which takes up network bandwidth, it causes slow downs on the users computers and they start complaining. Our network is 100mb.

I know imaging from a cd is possible using the mount command at the bash#, but all my images are much larger than the storage capacity of the CD.

Is there any way possible to image from an external DVD player or an external usb hard drive when dropping down an image to a new hard drive in the computer?

Currently I have all my Zen Images on the external USB
Maxtor 160gb hard drive which is formatted as NTFS. If imaging from an external DVD burner is possible then I could burn the images to DVD.

If so, how do I go about doing this and is there documents on doing this?

Thanks!!!

This Cool Solutions article might help. It's worked for some and not for others.

This should also work:

Burn the image file to a DVD.
Make the ZenWorks bootable CD.
Connect the external DVD to the workstation.
Boot from the ZenWorks bootable CD into manual mode
when it's done booting Type cdrom.s
This will probably mount both the internal CD-ROM and the external DVD.

Daniel Blake
Milford Central School

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back