Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Image a failing hard drive 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan08

Technical User
Jan 7, 2013
US
I have a desktop with a failing hard drive. The OS still boots and the system seems fine except the diagnostics say the hard drive is failing. I want to get ahead of the problem and image the hard drive before it gets any worse. I am setting it up to image now, so I'm not even sure if that will work. My question is about restoring the image. What kind of complications could this bring up after restoring the image to a new drive? Is there any possibility of damaging the new drive?

No possibility of damaging the new drive from a physical perspective. Will you get a working/bootable system is another question. Just depends on whether everything gets transferred over before the hard drive gets worse. Better do it in a hurry. You can clone directly from old to new versus having to make an image and restore it later. If one method doesn't work, try the other and possibly with different software too.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Thank you.

You're lucky, many people don't get any chances. It's just boom/dead and only data recovery can help you.

No physical damage will occur, and if the imaging software can skip damaged sectors (if any exist at this point) you should be fine. Though some will bark at damaged sectors and stop the cloning process. Other's will attempt to recover the sector. I have one that tries to read the sector a couple times, and if it can;t it will skip it. This ensures that as much data is restored allowing proper functioning of the new image.

Basically if the image is successful, the new drive will boot as the old one did.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Imaging the damaged drive was unsuccessful. I use Clonezilla, and I guess it doesn't skip damaged sectors. Oh well, I was able to use Windows backup tool just fine. Imaging just would have been easier to restore. What imaging software do you use that will skip bad sectors?

Its an old DOS application, named after the first successfully cloned sheep.

Unfortunately, I don't think its made anymore.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

I just finished cloning a 1tb Samsung drive to a 320gb Western Digital drive. The Samsung drive was not even recognized by windows so I figured NO WAY would it work, I used Acronis 2013 & it did the job. Acronis has the option to ignore bad sectors during cloning, I have used it many times & sometimes when there were bad sectors I just did a repair install & all is good, good software.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Usually I just clone good hard drive to identical good hard drive using Clonezilla in beginner mode. I am going to experiment with some of these tips.

As long as you have your data backed up, you can play around all you want. Though the time factor starts to go in favor of a full O.S. reload and then putting your data back, unless you're having fun with it.

And playing around is something you cold do with 'Spinrite'.
As the drive is failing, get your data off first, as Spinrite will give the drive a good caning. For best explanation of what it does (and it's not free - sorry) go to their site.

But in short, the software will make a determined effort to read dodgy sectors, and relocate that data to a known good empty sector then mark the bad one as such.

Once this has been done, you could then try to get another image created as then, the imaging software will only have to deal with good sectors.

I've used the software many times with good results, but that was on old '98 installs and relatively small (<60Gb) drives.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Regards, Andy.
My pathetic attempts at learning HTML can be laughed at here:
My home page

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back