Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

iMAC - change Hard Disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElijahBaley

IS-IT--Management
May 4, 2001
GB
Hello

Can anyone give me some advice as to how to change the Hard disk of a iMAC

Is it user servicable?, I am told that it will take a normal IDE drive - can this be a Disk that was previously used in a PC?

Thanks

Graham

Yes you can use a PC IDE drive. How ever not sure if you can do this yourself.

Working on iMacs is not for the timid. The hard drive is buried and does not come out with the motherboad/cdrom, which is the only relatively easy part to get to. As MatthewA said, any pc ide drive should work fine, make sure you set the jumpers to master.
PT

Thanks for your comments,

Upon further investigation it certainly sems that it is not a job for the faint hearted - I may just leave this project for the time being!

Graham

Its not as hard as it looks once the computer part is out remove the cd-rom and then undo two screws and push back and it out. So long and thanks for all the fish.

I've been using an external USB drive on my slot-loading 350MHz G3 iMac. The internal drive is only 6Gb. I think an internal HD upgrade may be useful at this point. Is there a limit to how large of a drive I could put in?

Which model iMac is it? There are two variants of the G3 iMac in respect to board design (essentially tray loading and slot loading CD-Rom drives), and both can be swapped. However there are heat constraints, particularly on the ealier tray-loading models, so some modern drives may not be suitable.

As for the G4 flat-panel iMac, no idea!

And if anyone thinks that swapping the drive on an iMac is a problem, try a current iBook!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back