Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I'm new to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJavaargs

Programmer
Sep 10, 2001
US
Hi All.

I'm not sure if I'm even in the right place but I would like to know if there are any weblinks that explain how to be your own server? I'm a photographer + am into computers and have attempted programming and design my own web pages through notepad. I have been disqualified from a couple of sites because they have discontinued free space and do not allow ftp access :-(

I will admit I'm on the low income side but I'm desperate to have my upcoming newsletter in my town. I do believe in paying for space since it is the only right thing to do but because of financial issues I cannot. This newsletter will conform to IE 5.0, netscape 6, maybe 4.7 which I hear is better but they are both alright on my end. I have experience with working with other browsers like opera, lycos, and even webtv but will not be supporting these because of time constraints. I guess I'm taking on a lot. I do work a regular job plus I'm pursuing the photography dream I had always wanted. I'm also a graduate of a fine photo school and photography has been my dream.
Someday I would like to get out of where I'm at.

I feel I have somewhat of a decent knowledge on computers but am kind of not too familiar with networking, servers, etc. Only have read some.
Is there any way I can host my site directly from my own harddrive instead of depending on someone else? I have an understanding that uptime is a must and my system must remain on but I do not have a server machine, only a compaq with win 98. I have learned a good deal in the almost two years being online. Before this I would have no clue and was hesitant about computers, funny thing is friends are leaning towards me as a guru of some type, which I'm really not, I have a long ways to go but it does feel good I will admit.

If anyone would have any info on being one's own server and if it can be done with little resources, that would be great.

Thank you all for your time in reading this message.
People have helped me, now I can service others with my photography and what I know about web design and be the name which I will earn in due time.

RJ

If you want simple, easy and fast..... then check out the software at AnalogX.
The have a web server called SimpleServer that should get you started in under a few minutes. They also have some other useful programs and utilities.

Do you have a dedicated IP address from you ISP? It is very hard to run a web server from your system if you IP is dynamically assigned.

Dave

Actually you can still run a web server with a dynamic IP address with little or no $$. There are plenty of places such as Myserver.org that offer free software that will check your IP address and update where you domain points to. But if port 80 is blocked (like it is by most Cable and DSL companies - unless you have business grade DSL) then Myserver.org charges something like $25 a month to forward your port (this way you can set up your webserver to run on a different port such as 8080).

You can download Microsoft's Personal Web Server (PWS) and set up your own web server. The one problem I have had with PWS is changing the Port is uses. I've changed it like Microsoft said and it never worked on the port. I personally like Apache as a webserver. Changing ports in Apache was extremely simple.

If you have any questions on setting up a web server or web design (html, javascript, vbscript, asp) feel free to email me.

By the way, I am running PWS and an Apache server off of the same Windows 98 computer.

Thanks guys. I wll look into these.

I have the ip address. and a few other things I'm not clear on like node type, uses dns, and wins proxy enabled, whatever that is?

Security may be an issue, don't know if others could access different parts of my system, this I'll find out.

Thanks for the time guys. Let you all what happens

RJ

I have just installed simple server and am receiving a server isn't responding screen. I think I might have missed something along the way. Is the ip address used by itself or the whole absolute path to view the site on my disk?

Thanks again

RJ

If you're on the "server" itself, you can use either the IP address given you by your service provider, the machine's DNS name, or you can use the "loopback" address of 127.0.0.1, which will always work.

If you're using the port redirection functionality, you'll have to append your port (probably 8080) to the end so it'll look like:
Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back