Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

i'm looking at upgrading to XP...good move? currently w/ ME...

Status
Not open for further replies.

spewn

Programmer
May 7, 2001

any comments appreciated.

- spewn

I wouldn't upgrade, I'd buy a whole XP disk, format the hard drive, and then install the operating system.

Why do you want to get away from ME? Jennifer Sigman
1/2 of the IT staff

Actually you can use the XP upgrade disk to install a fresh copy. You will just need to input your WIn98/ME disk when it asks just to verify you can upgrade. Upgrade disks are not much different from full version except that the upgrade searches for a previous CD or installation. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

i tried to install visual studio .net and was told by MS that is wasn't compatible.

???

- spewn

What was not compatable? Windows ME? That would not suprise me. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

XP is infinitely more stable than ME. Clean install (after backup, of course!), not upgrade is way to go (see butchrecon about upgrade disk - it will clean install no problems). Run the compatibility test (on the XP CD) first so you can download any required drivers.

My 2 cents ME was/is horrible but I wouldn't rush to XP it's not pristine. If you need stability go with Win2k

And Never upgrade on top of another Os Always better to start from scratch with a clean install as said by wolluf.

how do i clean install w/ the upgrade xp kit?

- spewn

Simply choose a new install folder when it asks. As in c:\winnt instead of c:\windows. I too am staying away from XP. I like my 2k. ________
Remember, you're unique... just like everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back