Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I'm having trouble with my VPN in XP Pro....

Status
Not open for further replies.

angelleye

Technical User
Feb 4, 2003
US
I've got a very small network consisting of 3 computers behind behind a linksys 4 port router. Each system is given a static ip address (192.168.1.xxx) All file sharing and internet on each computer is working great.

I'm trying to learn about VPN's and therefore I'm trying to set it up here and connect to it for testing. On one system I've created an incoming connection using the new connection wizard and selected to allow vpn connections. I also selected the user to be allowed to connect and that user has a password on the system.

On the other system I created a VPN connection to the other computer using the new network connection wizard as well. This time, of course selecting to "connect to computer at work" and then used all defaults all the way through.

Reading through some tutorials I saw that I need to allow port forwarding on the router for ports 1723 and 47. I've set this up accordingly in the router admin section. Those ports now forward to the IP address of the system I'm trying to connect to. (vpn server)

Upon trying to connect it seems to be accepting the connection...but then doesn't allow it verify username and password. I'm getting error 721 not responding. It tells me a few things like to check for correct ip address, correct un and pw etc...all of this checks out okay.

Any information on what I need to do to make this work would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Drew

You need to open up the following ports:

Port forwarding 137,138,139,1723 and 47.
Port trigering 47 47, 1723 1723, 50 50, 500 500.

Now it should work.

I am using a Dell router. I can find the port forwarding but not the triggering in the configuration utility.

Can it be called something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back