Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ilo-100 virtual KVM problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blu3yy

Technical User
Sep 25, 2008
GB
Afternoon all..

HP Proliant 170 G5 with ilo 100.

While connected to the web interface have anyone had this problem:

Trying to acecss the Virtual KVM/Media

"Security Warning.

General Exception. Optional package not installed.

Name: com.serverengines.mahogany.MahoganyViewer

java.lang.NullPointerException"

I'd appreciate any help :eek:)

Thank you...

Hi, just to let everyone know - I've spoken to HP Technical helpline and they've adviced me to uninstall java on my PC and reinstall java 1.5.0

The kvm remote viewer is working.

The best thing you can do with these god awful ILO's of theres is actually run the Java App by hand manually.

I've had to admin boxes with the ilo-100 with laptops with newer versions of java than 1.5.0 and it's a nightmare....

Basically get the .jar file from the iLO i.e.

wget ' ip address>/mahogany.jar' --user=admin --password=admin

(change to your username and password)

Then install java 1.5.0 to some directory and run by hand as follows...

/usr/local/jre1.5.0_16/bin/java -jar mahogany.jar

You'll get a pop up asking for the ILO (server) IP and the user name and password. Give it these details and you'll have a connection to the console. (which interetingly is really a glorified VNC connection on port 5900).

If you are using a windows computer and are having problems it might be worth making a small Linux vmware image and running this when you want to access the iLO by performing the above. It might be nicer than having to switch java versions all the time and such...

The above example is *far* easier than trying to get the iLO to play with firefox/java 1.5.0 plugin.

I've had some similar issues related to the versions of Java installed on my workstation. The problem is that the newer versions of Java are set to run as the default when the web browser starts. Which means the required version, 1.5.0, does not load.

I'm running Windows XP and IE.

To resolve it this is what I did:
1. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Java
There should be a sub-folder for every installed version of Java
2. Run the Control Panel applet for each installed version. Usually it is in the bin folder and ends with a .cpl Then find where the browser integrations are set. Disable any that are checked.
Examples: 1.4.2 under Browser tab, 1.5.0_09 under Advanced tab and then <Applet> tag support.

The only issues I have now are if I already have a browser window open running a different version of Java than what I need to run the iLO. Easily solved, however. Just close all browser windows and restart the iLO window.

Hope this helps some of you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back