Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

illustrator spot color separation issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

fordson

Technical User
Jul 31, 2007
US
Hey there!,

I have used illustrator, quark, indesign for a while now. I have a customer file that is an ai file. The spot color in the file is 368 u. When I place this as an eps in indesign or quark the spot color does not read in. It acts like it is cmyk when it is all one spot color. Any ideas on settings she uses that would cause this? If I change the spot color to something else and drop it in the color shows up in the palette just fine. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Fordson

...in the original .ai file from the client, when you double click the color used in the swatches palette of illustrator, does the color indicate 'spot' in the color type pull down menu?

Andrew

Thanks for the reply,

actually, whenI double click on the pms color it goes to the generic color picker with the circle. However, when I pick an element and assign it another pms color - then double click on that it goes to the spot list. The strange thing is that the original pms that wont show up in indesign is also listed in the spot color list. Is there some kind of ink manager in illustrator like in indesign where I can assign the non-working pms color a new color and delete the bad one. Or do I simply need to change a setting for the non-working pms.
Thanks,
Fordson

...go to window > swatches....

...scroll through list...

...double click 368 u in the list...

...check it is a spot color as the color type...

Andrew

...not the color palette as you have done, the swatches palette, they are different...

Andrew

...there is no ink manager in illustrator, when you delete a spot color from the swatches palette, any item it was assigned to becomes cmyk, no warning message will tell you such...

...you need to select filled or stroked elements manually with the select options in the main menu and then change the color via the swatches palette...

Andrew

...you can use aliases in the ink manager in indesign to re-map colors, but if the color in question here isn't a spot color to begin with you won't be able to re-map it to a used spot colour in indesign, because it is cmyk at the moment...

Andrew

Try bringing the AI into indesign and see what happens or export a pdf from illustrator and see how that works.

It's sounding like somebody, somewhere, may have changed the PMS to something else but left the name.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back