Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

illustrator file saved to pdf - print but lost the logo 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidtexture

Technical User
Oct 18, 2007
CA
I created an ad in illustrator with some photos and company logo. I then saved it as pdf format. Everything looks good - send the pdf file to the publisher but printed without the logo.

I double checked by opening the pdf file in photoshop. Indeed! the logo is not there. - what happened?

...white logo?

...would have been set to overprint in illustrator inadvertently...

...the problem is that white is not an ink, if set to overprint it will not output (this does depend on a print providers rip set up in dealing with white overprints)...

...in illustrator choose window > attributes, select the logo and wil probably have overprint active (with a yellow symbol)...

...illustrator does warn when you set a white object to overprint, however it doesn't when the object was once another color...

...this I have raised with Adobe years ago, but unfortunately they haven't reacted to this problem...

...illustrator, acrobat and indesign all have overprint viewing options to see if artwork has been created with overprint whites (and other colors via the separations window (not illustrator CS3, you need illustrator CS4 for that)), acrobat pro also has the ability to fix these problem areas by using the preflight feature in the advanced options...

...it catches many people out, even the pros involved with prepress...

Andrew

...forgot to mention...

...choose "view > overprint preview" in illustrator cs3 to see your logo disappear...

...in indesign it is the same or choose "window > output > separations preview" and activate "separations" in the "view" pull down menu (view > overprint actually turns this on anyway)...

...and in acrobat pro "advanced > print production > overprint preview" or for separations "advanced > print production > output preview"...

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back