Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Illustrator file in Indesign - HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beckyboo

Technical User
Dec 7, 2009
AU
I am creating a document in Indesign and my logo artwork is in Illustrator.

When I copy and paste into indesign the gradients in the logo go all stripy or dotty.

When I Place the file it has a block white background.

Can anybody please tell me how this is done properly.

Thank you

This is urgent, deadline is looming closer :/

...your better off placing the illustrator file as you have tried (.ai format)...

...when you choose file > place, click on "show import options" in the place dialog...

...click open button...

...you then have the options to choose from...

...ensure you have "transparent background" enabled...

...press OK...

...if it still has a white background then the illustrator file has it, so you need to remove it from illustrator...

andrew

============
============

...worth also pointing out that if you are trying to place a .eps file, then you will have a white background, even though the file doesn't, this is indesign preview issue...

...change the view quality setting to:

view > display performance > high quality

andrew

============
============

...when placing .ai format, also ensure you save the .ai file with PDF compatibility enabled (on by default) from illustrator, and also ensure the artwork is on the art board of illustrator or it won't show in indesign when imported...

andrew

============
============

I'm afraid I'm going to answer with another question since it looks like there are knowledgeable people around.

I've drawn a black and white picture in Illustrator. I've then placed it in Indesign where it looks right on the screen, but when I print it out, the black looks gray. As a test, I made a new file of a black rectangle and then placed this new file onto the same Indesign file alongside the previous placed object. This time the rectangle printed out perfectly black but the picture which seemed to have all the same settings again came out gray. I've been wrestling with this silly problem over quite a long period, getting more and more frustrated as I experimented with settings..all to no avail. Please save me from myself!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back