Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

illustrator CS3 pen tool and pencil changes after upgrade 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

anhowis

Technical User
Oct 5, 2009
US
After an operating system upgrade my Illustrator tools are not performing the same. Prior to the upgrade, my pencil tool and pen tool performed the same as the brush tool, where you select the brush you want then begin to draw with that specified brush. Now if I draw using the pen or pencil i have to use plain strokes, then select the paths, then select a brush stroke. I have looked through all kinds of tool preference options and trashed my Illustrator prefs as well.

...choose "appearance palette", select the flyout arrow top right of palette. In that list is "new art has basic appearance"...

...select this function to turn it off...

...you can then use the pencil and pen tools as the brush tool, however this also affects any other new basic shapes you draw...

andrew

Thank you so much! You saved my job :)

...your welcome...

...it is certainly one of those that is not the most logical to work out...

...but i guess adobe needed to differentiate the tools somehow, so by default the pen and pencil are different methods, but produce only stroked paths. It makes sense when you think about it, that the brush tool should behave similar to how photoshop would work. I think they also take the view that most users will just use pen and pencil for stroke work, and if you needed a fancy line they make you use the brush tool...

...one thing that annoys me is using the text tool, typing text, switching to the line tool and trying to draw a line, instead of a stroked path, you get only the path...

...anyway, glad it has helped you out...

andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back