Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Illustrator cs bug -please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

pa902

Technical User
Feb 16, 2001
US
I have a major problem that needs atention about illustrator cs for mac. In school we have this program -CS- and when I take a image in photoshop and create a transparent background then save it as a photoshop file and bring it into illustrator it opens fine with the transparency intact -but when I print it there is a light box where the transperancy was. I've tried everything I can think of to fix it and nothing works -my whole class and my teachers can't fix it. I come home and use photoshop 7 for pc and illustrator 9 and it works just fine. I think I've found a major bug with CS at least the version for mac -if anyone would be willing to try this for me and let me know whats up I would greatly appreciate it -thanks

I think you may need to have a clipping path to separate the object from the transparent background in the photoshop file. Then the transparency will be carried across into another program. It's how the transparent part of a PSD file is maintained in a layout program, but I'm not sure if this is how it works in Illustrator.

You shouldn't have to do clipping paths from PS to Illustrator... There are different print settings now in Illustrator CS that let you control how much of your picture is converted to raster when you print, so that transparency effects and such will print more reliably. I would try moving that slider more toward raster. The only thing to be careful about is if you have any text in those areas, they may become fuzzy. There is a way to preview what would be rasterized (would be greyed like Out of Gamut warning in PS) but I can't remember off the top of my head how to do that...

My other thought is that it could be the printer....

Let us know what you come up with!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back