Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Illustrator and Xerox Phaser 8400- Print setup slow/freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicksims

Technical User
Feb 13, 2005
US
I use Illustrator 9.0.2 and print on a Xerox Phaser 8400. When I go to Document setup, change whatever settings, and then click on the Print Setup, make whatever (or no) changes, then click OK, Illustrator will get extremely slow. The print windows don't close properly, the bars at the top of the screen go white. The file comes back on screen in sections at a time. Sometimes it will freeze.

If I minimize either the file, program, or both (and let it "rest" for a moment before re-maximizing the program, file, or both), well that seems to work for the short term. If not, reboot- assuming Win 98 hasn't gone haywire on me at that point. If I go to Print Setup directly from either the File menu or ctrl/shift/P, the same slow situation happens. I can't say why the minimizing works- as long as I click on the minimize button, then wait patiently. Then minimize the program if necessary. Do both too quickly and freeze.

We used to use an HP colorlaserjet 4550. This never happened with that printer or an inkjet as a tester. The Xerox does everything very well, except for this odd conflict. Xerox couldn't provide an answer. I've reloaded drivers, Illustrator, made sure the computer is cleaned and updated pretty regularly.

Using Win 98 with all service packs and updates. Norton 2004 (this problem was before the new Norton was installed). Plenty of ram, although I don't remember exactly how much.

Overall, this is not work or file threatening, just a big nuisance. Anybody have this conflict with their printer?

Did you happen to install either Illustrator or the Xerox drivers with any antivirus/anti spyware software active?

You might try disabling Norton and any other nativirus/antispyware, and uninstalling and reinstalling the Zerox drivers, and possibly Illustrator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back