Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Illustrator 9.1 slowdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

chays

Technical User
Nov 12, 2001
US

I have been using AI 9.1 for quite a while now with absolutely no problems. Suddenly, the entire program has slowed down. Especially when I try to drag pallets around or draw shapes. The only thing I can think of that I have done recently is that I uninstalled an AI 10 demo that I had downloaded from the Adobe site. I have uninstalled and reinstalled all versions of AI that I have (7.0 through 9.1) with no improvement. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

First get the 9.0.2 patch from adobe

Invariably someone is going to suggest you delete your preferences so follow that advise when it comes if you use all factory defaults. Otherwise, start opening Photoshop first before AI and the problem should start to un-kink itself. You may to open and close AI a few times with PS open in order to speed things back up. Seems they share some the same system and temp files and Photoshop seems to clean it self up better. Also make sure your system fonts folder isn't overloaded. I'd buy a Mac if I could afford one.

I am on a Windows 2000 system. How many fonts are too many? Where can I get a list of fonts that are supposed to be on a windows 2000 system? So far nothing is working to speed it back up.

Thanks for the help.

I wrote a faq about fonts a while back. Click in the lower right of this post to check it out. You may need to completely uninstall all the adobe software you have and then reinstall it starting with photoshop. Of course restart in between. If that doesnt work your only option may be a wipe and reinstall. I'd buy a Mac if I could afford one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back