Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Illustrator 10 "Reading Fonts" problem 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdp914

Technical User
Feb 14, 2003
US
Illustrator 10 gets stuck on "Reading Fonts" and then when I hit Alt Cntrl Dlt it says it is not responding. None of the suggestions I have found on here work. Any new suggestions?

Jaquan, I don't understand your FAQ. How does it answer the problem with this "Reading Font" error? Plus, I just got this software. So I know very little about it. Would you be so kind to break it down for me?

Basically, dont put any fonts in your systems Fonts folder. Create one of your own somewhere else and access via a font manager such as Suitcase9 from extensis. Go here you want to read more. I'd buy a Mac if I could afford one.

You have a corrupted font. Run Scandisk or chkdsk/r This MAY fix the error.

Or Load Illustrator and watch the fonts load and take note of the last few until it stopped. Then you can pinpoint the corrupted font in your /Fonts directory by double-clicking the fonts to show the font preview. The corrupted font will produce an error message when clicked on. Then just delete it. This sounds goofy but it works.

Or buy a font manager like the Mac guy, it will show you all corrupted fonts and you can just shut them off. (Easiest) (Tip: ATM sucks)

"Basically, dont put any fonts in your systems Fonts folder. Create one of your own somewhere else and access via a font manager such as Suitcase9 from extensis."

Man, I wish I knew what you were talking about. Are you telling me to erase my font folder in windows?

"Or Load Illustrator and watch the fonts load and take note of the last few until it stopped."

How am I going to load illustrator 10 if it can't past this 'reading fonts' error? Could I locate this corrupted font in the windows file folder? If so, how? I don't know of any other way to check which fonts are corrupted. Is there a other way to find the corrupted font.

If I buy this 'mac guy' and install it, will that take care of this problem?

Thanks in the help!

I tried scandisk and it didn't work for me.

I guess we are assuming you have been manually adding fonts to your C:\windows\Fonts folder. If you have, try and remember which they were (listing by date modified can help) and move them to your desktop. If you have never added fonts manually, try uninstalling AI, restarting and reinstalling. I'd buy a Mac if I could afford one.

PROBLEM FIXED!!!!

I've been trying to hunt down the solution to this crazy elusive problem for about a week now, and I've FINALLY found it... It was driving me craaazzy!!!!

All you have to do, while Ill is not running, do a find on your hard drive for any adobefnt*.lst files, and delete them! Bang, done.

Bon appetit,
Scott

The problem will continue to come back AND slow down your comp unless you use a font manager, I cant stress it enough.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

I have this problem too. I'm not sure if it's a corrupted font because the "reading fonts" doesn't even run. It just freezes. So I can't even seen which fonts it's reading. Even still, it was running fine with all the fonts that are still in there. It only changed after I changed my OS from Windows 2000 Pro to XP Pro. Do you think that has anything to do with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back