Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Illegal use of Null

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlusk49

Technical User
Nov 7, 2002
CA
I am trying to retrieve two fields from a DB based on a person's ID and I have created an array to hold the data. I have provided error handling in case the array is empty and it works OK when there is data in the fields. However, when the fields are empty, I get an error message on the illegal use of null. Any ideas?

In one of my standard .bas modules I have the following function:
Function N2S(X As Variant) As String
If IsNull(X) Then
N2S = ""
Else
N2S = CStr(X)
End If
End Function

Then when I get stuff from a databaseI use:

myStr = N2S(rst.fields(1)) Let me know if this helps

'There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.'

Also, here's a neat trick...Just use Format.

Using johnwm's example:

myStr = Format(rst.fields(1))

Format will return an empty string for Null values.

In case you haven't guessed, the original error is probably because you are trying to assign a Null value to a String (or member of a String array). Only Variants can hold a Null value.

You can get this type of error from the database as well
in the record design "Allow Zero Length" = YES

John

Or just cover any chance of a null coming back from the data by tacking a vbNullstring on every item you add to the array. That way nothing will ever be null & it won't hurt non null values. It's generally better to use the constant instead of "".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back