Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS / SMTP new install won't send email out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JEShannon

Programmer
Oct 25, 2002
US
I've just installed IIS so I can use SMTP to send batchs of email from my Access Application.

I followed a couple of 'how to install and set up SMTP for the simple minded' but apparently I'm too simple minded. It doesn't work.

=============================
One of the suggestions to test if it's sending email was to reset Outlooks out going address to the new server (in this case tomdell - the computer name). Outlook won't send.

My normal SMTP email out is 'mail.attbi.com' which I've changed to 'tomdel'.

They come back with: Undeliverable: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for Jimsha@attbi.com
==============================

Another method suggested is to drop emails in the Pickup directory.

If I drop jimsha@tomdell it immediately goes into the the Drop directory. This I take to mean 'it works for local email'???

If I drop jimsha@attbi.com it goes to the queue. The same with any other external email address. This I take to mean that it failed.
=============================

My guess is that I've failed to properly set up the server somehow but have fumbled with it all day without success.

Anyone know of a better 'idiots guide' or can offer some tips?

Thanks,
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back