Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS Simply Stops Serving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beatnik

IS-IT--Management
Oct 30, 2000
US
We are running IIS 4 on an NT 4 Server (SP 6), with a Cold Fusion based web site. One main web site being served.
A couple of times in the past few weeks, both times on a weekend, as bad luck would have it, IIS has stopped serving pages. No error messages, no other indications of problems with processes, etc. Just stops serving. Stopping and restarting the cures the problem.
I can't figure out how to troubleshoot this, as there seems to be no other problem when it happens. And we can't afford to have this web site down for periods of time.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

What exactly happens when it stops serving, does it refuse the connections immediately or does it just hang while trying to open the page?

Thanks for responding.

Nothing at all happens. If you try to go to the home page of the domain from the browser, you just get a spinning cursor, and eventually a "server down" message or some equivalent.

As if the server is down, of course, which it appears to be from the outside, but looks fine on the server itself.

I have experienced this with my last employer (an e-commerce site) and we tracked it down to bad code by the developers.

Another reason this may happen is if the request queue fills up faster than the server can deliver. We had this problem as well and traced it back to an over-worked database (site uses .asp). We switched from fail-over cluster to load-balanced cluster added RAM and that cured the problem.

Robin Ptasiuk
the.black.adder@home.com

MCSE, MCT

[ponder]

Hello everyone, I am experiencing the same problem with IIS 4. We have a standard web site with asp pages. Almost every morning and afternoon we have to reboot the server restarting the service won't do it. We have an NT 4 server up to date with all patches, we have verified all COM objects and DLLs but still no error found. It just stops, no heavy traffic, tried to run on a separate memory space, ran almost every debugger out there. Hardware checks ok. We have no idea, not a clue on what could be wrong. I also re-installed NT, IIS and we had the same results. Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back