Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS set up and moving from PWS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

credo

Programmer
Jul 26, 2001
GB
ok I'm an IIS newbie- just got XP Pro installed and want to be able to view locally 10 websites that I've developed. On my old OS (Win ME) using PWS I viewed these locally through the browser from c:/inetpub/ etc..... I didn't have to do much except point PWS to C:/inetpub/
Now, I'm on IIS5.1 - I have a problem and 1 question

Problem : when i go to through the browser it's trying to serve localstart.asp. It pops -up a security dialog asking for user name and password - I enter my OS name and OS password (I'm the only user and have admin rights I beleive). Nothing happens for a bit and then it pops up the same dialog with username filled in and password (where myName is the name I previosuly entered)... not sure why it's not getting past this dialog.

Question: to view the websites can I just simly copy the directiries under to view them locally ? (assuming get the problem above fixed) ?

thanks in advance.

PS. Are there any good tutorials abut IIS set-upthat anyone knows of.

hi,
Try using rather than 127.0.0.1, also the reason you are being asked for username etc could be that you have not set up directory browsing, this can be configured in the "internet services manager".

Also try adding a default.asp page to the " directory that has links to each of the files, when you then view you should get the page with your links.

As long as the websites are only html then you can view these by typing the address in internet explorer i.e. "c:\inetpub\ if the websites are ASP then they need to be viewed through IIS.

If this doesn't help or is not clear, just let me know and i'll offer any other help i can!

Russell

thanks Russell - aaaaah - localhost works rather than 127.0.0.1. - and I see there's loads of documentation - good. I can view html sites locally fine.

whereis Interent Services manager though to set the browse local directories option? I have several apps under Admin Tools (eg. Component Services,Internet Information Services, Services etc.. but not Internet Service Manager).

Most of the websites I want to view locally are database/.asp driven ,so once I've set up the ODBC's - do I need to do anything else to view them through IIS?

Hi,
sorry it's called internet service manager in win 2k, try in Internet Information Services, that should show the options "default website", "default ftp site" etc under the name of your computer. if you right click on "default web site" and select "properties", click on "Home Directory" in the popup window, there should be an option called "diredtory browsing" (or similar), make sure this is selected.

As for the websites, aslong as the ODBC's are set up correctly you should be able to just view them by typing the address i.e. if the site is called "website1" with "default.asp" as the index page then type " and it should display the site.

Hope this help, just ask if you need more info

Russell

P.S. when you go into Internet Information services it will give you the name of your computer i.e. "computer1", you can use this in place of "localhost" i.e. instead of

Great - got it - thanks again for your help ... :)

Hi there Russell,

I have implemented all of the above but it still wont show the asp pages. IIS5.1 installed on w2k pro os. I have basically ticked everything in 'Home Directory'. Please help.

Toopz

if you are trying to get an asp page to load as your default you have to go into your internet services manager right click your site and properties thjis will show you your default pages that it will look for, if you want a certain asp page to load up automatically call it default.asp

Hi Toopz,
First things first, does your iis show html pages, and have you got the service started, silly question but i've forgot in the past!!.

The next thing to check is that on the "home directory" tab, there is an option called "execute permissions", this should be set to "scripts only" or "scripts and executables",probably best to keep to "scripts only".

If this still doesn't help, can you give the error message, if there is one, and i'll see if i can help you

Russell

Hi Russell,

Your information has been very helpful. Thanks. I installed IIS 5.0 on W2K and all the services are runing and I followed the steps you mentioned in your previous postings. Still I am getting the same error which says:-

The page cannot be displayed
There is a problem with the page you are trying to reach and it cannot be displayed.
------------------------------------------------------------
Please try the following:

Open the localhost home page, and then look for links to the information you want.
Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

Click Search to look for information on the Internet.
You can also see a list of related sites.

HTTP 500 - Internal server error
Internet Explorer

Please help,

Hi,

Do you have Front Page Server Extensions installed and are the sites you are having problems with created with front page?

I have just upgraded my Front Page and am getting the same error!, if this is the case i'll let you know the solution When i work it out!

Russell

I have IIS5 with win 2000 server. I cannot access iis help by typing in . When I look at my Internet Information server, The Default Web Site option is STOPPED.When I try to start it, it gives "address already in use" error. what am i doing wrong ?

I also have a problem with IIS 5.0. It seems when I browse it gives me a 404 error. This also occurs when I opt to browse Default Web Site, however, when I point the browser to it works fine (same applies to any other file I browse to), it ONLY happens for Have you any suggestions ? Thanks.

Hi phil988,

Sounds like you haven't got default documents set up correct, if you bring up the properties for your default web site and go to the "Documents" tab, the top option is for default document, check that your main page is listed, i.e. default.asp.

hope this helps, if not let me know.

Do the pages show if you use the computer name instead of localhost?

Russell

hi Tumsa,

When i was getting the '500' error messages it was a problem with my global.asa file, try renaming this and opening the site again.

Russell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back